• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wulf's Collected Story Hour -- FINAL UPDATE 12/25

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Why bump this again? Well, because it is Tolkien's birthday again.

But mostly because, this time last year, I committed to (actually, finally) finishing a novelization of this Story Hour. It's taken 20 years (of procrastination and rumination) because a D&D game is not, in and of itself, a good foundation for a traditional fantasy novel. But if there are yet any fans of this SH out there, I am happy to share the news with you that the work is almost complete - though my original goal of 1 year was certainly achievable, it was nevertheless ambitious. But with 85k words (that's about 300 pages...) behind me, I find myself in the midst of Speaker in Dreams and certainly the finish line is within view.

And so, here's a look at the starting line(s):

Long, long ago, between the elder days and the age of Men, there lived a dwarf, and he was a bastard. Not a common bastard, in the sense that he was born out of wedlock – although he was that, too – but a recalcitrant bastard with a heart like a nasty, dirty, wet hole full of the ends of worms and an oozy smell, and a soul like a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it. This dwarf was a right bastard with a grudge, and that meant somebody was gonna pay.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Why bump this again? Well, because it is Tolkien's birthday again.

But mostly because, this time last year, I committed to (actually, finally) finishing a novelization of this Story Hour. It's taken 20 years (of procrastination and rumination) because a D&D game is not, in and of itself, a good foundation for a traditional fantasy novel. But if there are yet any fans of this SH out there, I am happy to share the news with you that the work is almost complete - though my original goal of 1 year was certainly achievable, it was nevertheless ambitious. But with 85k words (that's about 300 pages...) behind me, I find myself in the midst of Speaker in Dreams and certainly the finish line is within view.

And so, here's a look at the starting line(s):

Long, long ago, between the elder days and the age of Men, there lived a dwarf, and he was a bastard. Not a common bastard, in the sense that he was born out of wedlock – although he was that, too – but a recalcitrant bastard with a heart like a nasty, dirty, wet hole full of the ends of worms and an oozy smell, and a soul like a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it. This dwarf was a right bastard with a grudge, and that meant somebody was gonna pay.

Remove ads