• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you find useful during a game

Infinite Monkey

First Post
I have written a dice rolling program and am thinking about writing some other stuff as well. What I want to know is what stuff would you find useful while running a game. I have written a prototype jump calc, which I will probably add to the dice roller, which also does combat to hit / damage rolls and stuff.

I have also written a 'reminder', basically a way to access rules reminders while in game. E.g., you press the button labelled 'Grapple' and get a summary of what to do in a grapple, without any flavour text or anything, just what you need in game. When I have time I'm going to summarise all the various combat actions from the SRD, so you will have summaries of trip and disarm and all that. What other such reminders would be useful?

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
What I want to know is what stuff would you find useful while running a game.

Everything I've included in DM's Familiar I would find useful. Specifically, need a way to instantly look things up: Spells, Rules (like you described), Monsters, Feats, Skills, PC/NPC, and Weapons are what I have covered. Maybe I've missed a few things (Prestige Classes maybe, Equipment needs to be done).

A Combat Board to organize everything and keep the combat running smoothly and exciting.

A Note taking system to keep Campaign Notes, Adventure Notes, Locale Notes, etc.

I have written a prototype jump calc

I keep seeing people talk about these and I just don't get it. Other players must Jump a lot more than my players do.

Luke

Explorer
DMFTodd said:

I keep seeing people talk about these and I just don't get it. Other players must Jump a lot more than my players do.

Stopping to manually calculate a jump correctly is a bit of a pain, and causes unnecessary slow down, though a program that does only this one thing does seem over the top.

Quite a few DMs (me included), do get players to make frequent skill checks for seemingly mundane (untrained?) skills. If you can do it quickly enough without disrupting game flow, it adds a lot to the game, and gives more meaning to the points spent in "fighter type" (mundane) skills. In the hands of a fast monk, jump itself can be an unexpectedly useful resource.

Here's how I find it works really well in RPM:
- You get quick selection of a skill from a list that incorporates all your skills, plus any untrained ones that you have access to.
- RPM does a die roll and instantly builds a list of all the modifiers giving you a final dice result (eg. if you "Hide" whilst wearing a cloak of elevenkind it automatically gives you a +10).
- You change the dice roll if you want, and the results are recalculated.
- An optional list (typically telling you the DC for a particular variation) is there as a combo box, so you can choose the appropriate one ( eg. the different uses for Alchemy, which have different DCs).
- If the skill is opposed, RPM already knows this, and automatically builds the opposing list for each target (eg Hide vs several Spot attempts, or Disguise vs Spot, or Move Silently vs several Listens).

Concerning the "Calculators"
There are several "mini" calculators within the core skills alone, of which jump is the most intensive. Examples where RPM will automatically spit out the answers are:
- A Bluff can fail badly enough to be seen through.
- A failed Climb can indicate no progress, or even a fall.
- A Craft check can fail badly enough to lose 1/2 the material cost.
- Disable Device can succeed well enough to bypass without disabling.
- A Heal can automatically set the status of a Dying creature to Stable.
- An Innuendo that fails badly enough can actually convey false information, as similarly a failed Intuit Direction can actually indicate a false sense of intuition.
- A failed Swim can indicate drowning rather than lack of progress. If you're wearing Armor with a bad enough check, and/or carrying too much weight, RPM will automatically apply the horrifying penalties that quickly lead to drowning.
- A Performance check will tell you how much you could have earned if you were in a busking situation.

Jump is a good one in particular, because not only is there a calculation involved, but there are different types of jump, all with their own algorithmic variation.

Having these calculated results instantly returned to you is a very significant benefit, articularly as any in-game changes are automatically factored in (eg dex loss from poison affects dex-based skills).

Of course to get the full in-game benefits of all this using a couple of mouse clicks takes a comprehensive and tightly integrated RPG utility suite - which RPM is!

Regards,

MonkeyBoy

First Post
unofficial monkeyboy jump erratta

Fixing jump;

1 - DM thinks about the jump being proposed

2 - DM "produces" a DC to manage the jump

3 - Player makes skill check

4a - in a success; character makes the jump OK

4b - in a fail, DM adjudicates likely result of failure and applies it

"produces" means 'hmmmm, that sounds like a DC 25' etc, just like for any other skill

I get PCs to work out their jump distances on the hypothetical rolls of 1, 10, 20, once unless their distances are likely to change - I use this to figure how difficult jumps are for different characters. Or I just slap a base 10 off the DC for an "expert jumper" like a monk. easy.

Much simpler, requires no tables, game runs faster.

Luke

Explorer
Re: unofficial monkeyboy jump erratta

MonkeyBoy said:
Fixing jump;

1 - DM thinks about the jump being proposed

2 - DM "produces" a DC to manage the jump

3 - Player makes skill check

4a - in a success; character makes the jump OK

4b - in a fail, DM adjudicates likely result of failure and applies it

But the "Jump" skill doesn't work anything like this. It's one of the few core skills that returns a "level" of success, rather than a simple success/fail result.

Jump always "succeeds". It's actually a case of how far you manage to jump.
There are different types of jump (Standing, running, 20' running, high jump etc), and they each have different formula.
The formula are quite sensible, being capped by height, and improved by higher movement rates.

I think that one of the greatest 3rd ed virtues over 2nd ed. is the removal of DM subjectivity with rule detail such as this. Our group really enjoys the "objective realism", which works well when you can get accurate answers quickly. We've discussed it, and basically agree that there's a lot less player/DM friction in the new system...

Remove ads