• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Is Your Favorite Campaign Setting?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Barsaive (Earthdawn), Eberron, The World of Darkness (First Edition, before 2e went gonzo and Revised chained everything to the metaplot and the meh novels and decided to explore every nook and cranny of the setting), Forgotten Realms (1e and 2e), Planescape (2e), Io's Blood Islands (Council of Wyrms).

MGibster

Legend
I'll take a crack at this.

Cyberpunk 2020: The (retro) future is an interesting place with all sorts of political, social, and economic changes that you can always find something interesting for players to do. Night City is an interesting location full of organizations and NPCs all with their own agendas. There's just a lot you can do in a Cyberpunk game.

Deadlands: This game is set in the American Old West except there are mad scientists and wizards who gamble with their souls rubbing elbows with cowboys and gunslingers. I can't believe a weird game like this is still in production after more than twenty years.

Legend of the Five Rings: I had absolutely zero interest in this game when it came out but then I started flipping through a friend's copy and fell in love. Sadly I don't think there's much being done with the IP at the moment.

Any game system. Any era. Just what is your favorite campaign setting? Why? What do you love about it? What is the best adventure you had there?

When I was in high school, we played in Krynn a lot when I GMed. Dragonlance was a huge influence on me, and you can still see threads of it in campaign settings I make up today. I can't say it is still my favorite setting, but it definitely was for a long time. The only other published campaign setting i ever cared about was Eberron, which i still think of as the best D&D setting -- not just because the stuff in it is cool, but because it reflects the kind of D&D aesthetic and world building I find fascinating.

Outside of D&D, I really loved the Alternity Star*Drive setting. That's how you do game oriented space opera.

And, if it counts, the DC Universe. I have played pretty much every licensed DC game. Some are better than others, but the post Crisis, pre-Nu52 DCU is the best super hero universe to play in.

Inside D&D, in Sci Fi Star Trek, in Horror Chronicles of Duckness er I mean Chronicles of Darkness.

Remove ads