• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Paizo] Gladiatorial Campaign advice

JoeBlank

Explorer
I am considering running a side campaign for my regular group, and am intrigued by the idea of a gladiatorial campaign, such as the one mentioned in Dragon #303. That campaign is run as a lunchtime game at Paizo.

So I am looking for advice and suggestions, either in general or pointing me towards published products that might help. The goal is a side campaign to be run when everyone can't show up for our regular game. I figure adventures will consist primarily of an arena combat or tournament and so most will be completed in one game session. I want things to be flexible, allowing players to swap out characters if there is something different they want to try.

The Paizo campaign has some roleplaying elements to it as well, with backstory concerning the handlers, teams of combatants and such. I may get into this, if the players express interest. Otherwise, this will simply be a smackdown opportunity.

Materials already consulted:
Dragon #303
Fight Club on WoTC's web site
Tournaments, Fairs and Taverns

Should I get the Dungeon issue which works as a companion to Dragon #303? I know there is an adventure in that issue, but is there useful info for a gladiatorial campaign? And is it worth the $12 ($10 back issue price from Paizo plus #2 shipping)?

Another concern is mentioned in Dragon #303: limited-use abilities, including spells, are increased in power in a setting where there is usually only one combat per day. A barbarian would always rage, and a spellcaster would not worry about saving spells for the next encounter. One way around this would be to have a day-long tournament, but I envision each combat being a stand-alone event for my purposes. Any other advice on how to account for this problem?

The same problem will apply if I allow magic items (this will probably be very limited) and the players want to create single-use PCs. A limited-use magic item becomes a great buy if you don't mind using it up in one day.

On magic and treasure: this would be extremely limited, but may become one advantage to playing a recurring gladiator. There may be prize money, which a handler could share with the gladiator, to use to purchase better equipment. A victor might get to take the possessions of his foes.

Most likely the PCs will be either slaves, criminals (trial by combat), or freemen who pay an entry fee.

As I am starting to ramble, I'll stop here and see if anyone has any thoughts or advice. If the folks at Paizo want to tell us a little more about how their campaign is actually run (house rules, character creation, etc.) I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Well, I'm not a Paizo employee, but I do own the Dungeon magazine in question. The adventure "Pandemonium In The Veins" has combat in plenty, but it also has a great deal of mystery-solving, role-playing, and diplomacy. It shows what some rival stables will do to upset their competitors behind the scenes, amongst other things.

What's the campaign to feature, other than a lot of arena style fighting? The problem I'd have, is that that would get fairly old fairly quick. Maybe the PCs became gladiators undercover to bring down organized crime, or to look for political insurrection, or something along those lines. The Dungeon magazine adventures might also be good as the seedling of a campaign, because that does also have some story to it (although I haven't read all the way through that adventure, so I'm not sure exactly what it includes.)

We had the same idea, and had a super session in the one time we played. I was so into it that I made several PC/NPC's and posted them here:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37102

I recently bought a great module called "The Bloody Sands of Sicaris" ( Paradigm Concepts - $9.95 module for their Arcanis setting ) which has three very original scenarios for the gladitorial pits. It should be very helpful even if you don't use the other aspects of the module. It was rated an average of 4.67 on ENWorld reviews...

http://www.enworld.org/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=BLSA

Lastly, Dungeon issue 96 is very good, and can serve as an excellent model as to how to include role-playing in this campaign.

you can get it for $6.95 from
http://www.nobleknightgames.com

Aaron ( who runs the site ) is a great guy, and I vouch for him and his service very highly.

Have fun-

BFG

edit - corrected Dungeon Magazine reference

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:

Translation: "Get that community supporter account, which you have been planning to do for far too long. Then make use of the search function."

Either that or get a better memory. Thanks for the heads up, Hand of Evil. That thread was very helpful.

Any others with suggestions? I still would love to hear from someone at Paizo about the mechanics of their game, any house rules, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads