• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Lotr:FotR is now an Oscar winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Stannis

Explorer
My take:

LotR got screwed, yada yada yada. Of course it did - I held out faint hope that it wouldn’t, but when Ian McKellen didn’t win supporting actor, I could see the writing on the wall.

Other thoughts:

Aside from my personal dislike for Whoopi Goldberg, she is a terrible MC. At 12:15am (EST) Monday morning, when the show needed to move more than a deer with a shattered leg in the center of a 4-lane highway, she asks the audience to give Halle Barry ANOTHER round of applause?

Halle Barry’s speech was contrived. Come on, you know you’re one of the nominees….didn’t you think you just MIGHT win? Actually, the whole thing was painful to watch. I begged my wife to flip the channel, but she did not. Like a train-wreck, she wanted to see every gory detail.

I realized last night that I just don’t like Ron Howard’s films. I don’t know what it is, but they never click with me. If I ever do see “A Beautiful Mind”, it will always be tainted for me as the movie that won the oscar over LotR.

Much of the Hollywood mindset can be gleamed from Julia Roberts presentation of the Best Actor. Again, when the show desperately needed to move along, she started with a note that “SHE” got to kiss Sidney Poitier. Before removing the envelope, she remarked how much more nerve-wracking this was compared to “LAST” year (when “SHE” won the oscar). Finally, before reading Denzel Washington’s name, she said something akin to “’I’ can die happy”. Wow Julia, three reference to yourself in a two minute presentation? Now I know why you grate on “my” last nerve. By the way, your mouth is too big and I still think you’re ugly.

All in all, a pretty crappy night. Let’s hope for that sympathy vote next year or in 2004. Just make sure to keep whining like I have, and we just may have it. ;)

Red Baron

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Heh. Rioting. That'll be effective.

A Million Nerd March comes collectively out of their darkened basements, blinking in the sunlight, carrying authentic swords and dressed as various Star Wars characters. They approach a car, try for a minute to push it over, and then walk, breathless, back to the basement to quote The Simpsons to each other on message boards. :)
Priceless. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads