• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana OGL and the name "Unearthed Arcana"

pemerton

Legend
Incorrect. You are constrained by clause 7. "You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark."

You are more constrained than with normal trademark law, but I'm not sure to what extent.
Is credting something as the source an indication of compatability or co-adaptabiity? The purpose of clause 7 is to prevent marketing blurbs on a product along the lines of "compatible with D&D" and the like. Is indicating, in the text, that a particular game element is sourced from another element a contravention of clause 7? I'm not sure where I see the indication of compatability or co-adaptability in that.

delericho

Legend
The material from UA does not appear to be on the WotC SRD page (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35). Therefore what [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] suggests would definitely be non-compliant.

What I suggested was a format for references within body text, and not in Section 15 itself. The format you gave for the UA reference did indeed match that found in UA, but note that UA itself cites a few other sources that would need to be copied.

As I already mentioned, what you need to check is the Product Identity declaration in the Unearthed Arcana book. Does it list the name "Unearthed Arcana" as Product Identity?

Yes. UA is a trademark, and the "Product Identity" section indicates that all trademarks are considered PI. So it can't be used.

Dalamar

Adventurer
As far as your statement about the Unearthed Arcana rules not appearing in the official SRD... you're probably right. Neither do the psionics rules. But everyone else under the sun have folded psionics, epic rules, and Unearthed Arcana rules into the SRD when they prepared their own versions of the documents. So I personally feel that what delericho has suggested is indeed a viable option.
Psionic, Epic, and Divine (Deities & Demigods) rules do appear on the WotC SRD. I know several SRDs which present these as part of them. Conversely, I only know one SRD site which includes the Unearthed Arcana rules.

Dale Robbins

First Post
Psionic, Epic, and Divine (Deities & Demigods) rules do appear on the WotC SRD. I know several SRDs which present these as part of them. Conversely, I only know one SRD site which includes the Unearthed Arcana rules.

Meh bad! I guess I am spoiled by the Hypertext d20 SRD and the Sovelior-Sage SRD, both of which have "Unearthed Arcana" sections.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6750412]Dale Robbins[/MENTION], what exactly is your purpose in citing a source in the main text? Because I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to achieve, I'm not sure what to suggest as a way of achieving it.

Remove ads