D&D 5E Make Your Steed Really Stand Out

Seven brand-spanking new and wonderfully unique alternatives to your typical stallion.

Today EN5ider is going to take ya for a little bit of a ride. Why are horses so common in realms where exotic and strange monsters are everywhere? Consider instead these 7 enchanted steeds the next time your adventurer needs help getting somewhere! There’s the high-flying blakali bat (CR 1), divine celestial ram (CR 1), dependable clockwork horse (CR 2), coerced godbound hippocamp (CR 1), delightful racing snail (CR 2), terrifying timber warg (CR 1), and the ephemeral wisp colt (CR 2). Dependently designed by Andrew Engelbrite, illustrated by Rafael Benjamin.

Each week EN5ider gives you 5E supplements and adventures in your inbox for less than the cost of a cup of coffee! Join EN5ider and get instant access to the library of 550+ articles!

Not sure? Check out some of our free articles first, including a complete adventure, the smart-fighting savant class, a thrilling sidequest, the truth THEY don't want you to know, and an epic quest you might find famili—on second thought nevermind, it’s very silly.

RafaelBenjamin_En5inder_Snail-Mount shrunk.jpg

Lately on EN5ider:
  • 554. Monstrous Menagerie: Magical Mounts. Why are horses so common in realms where exotic and strange monsters are everywhere? Consider instead these 7 enchanted steeds the next time your adventurer needs help getting somewhere! There’s the high-flying blakali bat (CR 1), divine celestial ram (CR 1), dependable clockwork horse (CR 2), coerced godbound hippocamp (CR 1), delightful racing snail (CR 2), terrifying timber warg (CR 1), and the ephemeral wisp colt (CR 2). Dependently designed by Andrew Engelbrite, illustrated by Rafael Benjamin.
  • 553. Intriguing Organizations: Oraculum of Enlightened Sight. A deranged cult is spreading across the land and gaining more adherents with every passing day—sometimes by force, sometimes through the spreading of the White Plague. Once deprived of an eye or all of their sight, a small number of victims do receive a magical blessing that gives the creed just enough truth to be a real danger. Devoutly designed by Austin Conrad, illustrated by Indi Martin.
  • 552. Villain Spotlight: Dramaturge. The Dramaturge doesn't just believe that all of life is a stage—for this accursed bard and everyone around them it is terrifyingly true. Troublesome irks cause explosive tirades, fanciful crushes beget dire confessions of love, and even the slightest disrespect can result in terrible violence for the sake of entertainment. All of this is due to the Taleblight Curse, a magical illness that compels those afflicted to play the part that's been chosen for them. Dramatically designed by Andrew Engelbrite, illustrated by Júlio Rocha.
  • 551. Villain Spotlight: White Winter. Icegarten's magnificent stone sculpture of a dragon is lauded as one of the finest works of art in all of Elissar—but this is a lie for there is nothing carved about it. What many are told is a sculpture once lived and breathed terror as White Winter, the undisputed lord of the south until it was petrified in a desperate gamble by the sagagætir of Laskia. With the passing of centuries this dangerous truth has become shrouded in legend and song, people blithely living their lives in the winged shadow of a tyrant silently waiting for her opportunity to reassert control the instant her imprisonment comes to its calamitous end. Draconically designed by Mike Myler, illustrated by Xanditz.
  • 550. Destinies of Silk. Arachnid weavers still work the looms of ruined Mal Merikh, isolated in the depths of the wild Spinnelund forests of Elissar. They have been content for centuries in secrecy and safety, weaving the future into the great tapestries and only pulling upon the rare errant and troublesome threads. But now the looms have shown disaster—a child from the village of Brogsten coming to Mal Merikh and setting the great tapestries themselves ablaze. In panic the Loom Mother wove her Silkspawn minions to go and abduct the children of Brogsten so that their hairs can be tested and this terrible destiny averted. This adventure for 4–5 PCs of 15th–16th level was determinedly designed by Andrew Engelbrite, illustrated by Indi Martin, and features the cartography of Kate Moody and Russ Morrissey.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I love custom mounts! It's a part of the game that is rich for customization, in my opinion: new campaign settings have lots of info on races, classes, subclasses, and weapons--but mounts always seem to get handwaved or ignored. But not in my games!

Here's a couple of pages from my homebrew campaign setting (based heavily on Tribality Games's "Seas of Vodari" setting). And I've added chocobos because look at my avatar, of course I added chocobos.

Attachments

• CustomMounts_Pg19.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • CustomMounts_Pg20.pdf
    943.4 KB · Views: 47

I was hoping for steed gear. Some kind of speaking device would be nice and I'd like a less grisly version of 3e's "hand of the mage" to give them an ability to manipulate objects.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
One of my PCs rides a skeletal manticore named Erebus. I figure that's gotta count for this thread!

1705029328116.png

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads