Let's make 1/27 Open License Day!

the Jester

Legend
I'm on board. It makes a worthier hobby-wide celebration IMO than May the Fourth (Be With You), Int'l Talk Like a Pirate Day, or even Gary Gygax Day.
I missed this last year, but I think it's a pretty cool idea.

That said, it's extremely niche- most gamers probably don't have a clue about open licenses or SRDs or the like. I don't think it's got nearly as widespread a fan base as the others you mentioned.

I love the idea of releasing free open content to celebrate; might have to crank something out.

Shout outs to some great games which were fully released under open license over the past year -
Basic Roleplaying: UGE (ORC)
Ironsworn Starforged (CC)
Pathfinder Remastered (ORC)
Mythras Imperative (ORC)
Cypher System
Shadowdark

And I am sure others that I've forgotten or missed!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Open License to Kill?
Tonight Show Drinking GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's a little late to be posting this, but happy Open License Day, everyone!

One year ago today, Wizards of the Coast backed off on their disastrous attempt to try and revoke the OGL, allowing it to survive as-is and subsequently placing the 5.1 SRD under Creative Commons. That the RPG community was able to come together and force even the proverbial 800 lb. gorilla to back down is a testament to how important open licenses are to tabletop gamers everywhere, and for good reason!

If you haven't already done so, why not celebrate by playing an open license-based RPG this weekend?

Remove ads