• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Jumping Rules 3.5?

Malin Genie

First Post
I have heard that the jumping rules have changed, and note that the ring of jumping and boots of striding and springing grant a paltry +5 to Jump skill.

How is distance calculated for the various types of Jump now in 3.5?

Tellerve

wow, um, look just about 34 posts or so down (half the page), under Tellerve, i put up a thread a day ago with almost the exact same title.

Tellerve

Last edited:

Malin Genie

First Post
Yep; saw it.

So is it confirmed that the d20 Modern rules are the ones being used?

For those who may not have d20 Modern, what dort of DCs are Jump checks going to entail? Are they linear (DC = 5 + feet of jumping) in which case what is the difference to the 3.0 rules? Or are they non-linear?

And why did they kill the Ring of Jumping (I bought one too....) ??

Madfox

First Post
And why did they kill the Ring of Jumping (I bought one too....) ??

Because they are modifying the price for ALL skill boosting items and with reasons to. IMO they were way too cheap, especially for skills like search, spot, listen en tumble. So they could either make the basic DMG item more expensive, which is a lot harder to convert, or simply reduce the bonus. I am glad they chose the last option.

Last edited:

Tellerve

Malin, yes the DC's are basically the distance +5, at least for running broad jumps. And I think if you fail but not less than 5 you can make a reflex dc 15 saving throw or something like that to grab hold of the ledge/whatever and then a climb dc 15 to pull yourself up as a move-equivalent action.

Tellerve

coyote6

Adventurer
Yeah, the d20 Modern running broad jump rules sort of work.

The d20 Modern standing broad jump rules mean that a normal person (or an exceptionally strong halfling or gnome or dwarf) without special training in jumping can't make a standing broad jump longer than the length of their stride. It doesn't work, and it's dumb.

I really hope 3.5e fixed that.

Remove ads