• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It is time to offer WOTC a way out - join the ORC.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If value is the reason for needing a new OGL, then their statement friday was a lie. Give them an opportunity to show it wasn't!
Of course their statement was a lie. We all know it was a lie. That's what marketing is-- lies of omission if nothing else.

And why do companies lie? Because people can't handle the truth.

Scribe

Legend
But according to their statement Friday their value has nothing to do with why they need to release 1.1/2.0 (even though the draft OGL 1.1 implies that it does).

According to WOTC there are only "two things" that went into that decision that a new OGL was needed and money was not one of them.

If value is the reason for needing a new OGL, then their statement friday was a lie. Give them an opportunity to show it wasn't!

And we have zero reason to believe them. Their statement was a lie.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Neither of those solves what they perceive to be an existential threat to their value.

We cannot read minds over the internet, so we shouldn't make claims on what they perceive.

Companies do not need to perceive "existential threat" to do things that they (perhaps mistakenly) think are in their own best interests.

raniE

Adventurer
Neither of those solves what they perceive to be an existential threat to their value.
So customers need to make sure that the alternative to this solution is certain company death. They'll take the solution they don't like if the alternative is complete destruction.

raniE

Adventurer
I doubt we can do that, but I'm doing what I can. ;)
Of course we can. Without customers there is no money. The wave of canceled D&D Beyond subscriptions clearly scared Hasbro. Next up, do not go to see the new movie, recommend not seeing it, argue against seeing it. Tanking that will hurt Hasbro’s move to try to make D&D about something other than gaming. I’m waiting for the Q4 reports. Q3 2022 was abysmal for Hasbro compared to Q3 2021, every number was down. If that trend continues in Q4 then they’re desperate.

Remove ads