• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IR) Concerning Toril

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Edena_of_Neith here.

When I began the first IR, it was based upon total freeform, in Faerun, on Toril.
The third IR began with the assignment of Strength Points to various nations and powers in the Flanaess, on the world of Oerth.

Now, there IS the possibility of an alternate IR.

Let us say this alternate IR, occurs on an alternate Toril, starting in an alternate Faerun.
Let us say this alternate IR< occurs in the alternate reality that existed on the other side of the Gate on the Isle of the Phoenix (the core realm of the power played by Kaboom in the third IR.)

However, Faerun is not the Flanaess.
Faerun is not a neat collection of nations.
Faerun, has some nations, some city-states, some shadow-nations (and a real Shadow-City-State), powers based on various races, powers half-guessed at (because Faerun is so big, and not all of it has been explored or touched on by the source material), and vast areas where there seems to be no nation or power at all ... which may or may not be the case. In addition to all of this, Faerun has a large number of secret organizations, some of which wield enough power to be accounted powers in themselves.
To the southeast of Faerun, in Toril's southern hemisphere, is the small continent of Zakhara (the Arabian Adventures Setting.)
To the west of Faerun, beyond Evermeet (which in this alternate Toril has not been sunk - yet - by Forrester) is the continent of Maztica, which was poorly explored by the supplements.
To the east of Faerun are the Hordelands (the Tuigan people there being the Torilian equivalent of the Mongols), and beyond that is Kara-Tur ... a continent as big as Faerun, and the Torilian equivalent of the Orient.
Toril also appears to have an equivalent of Australia, which has never been developed, and it has a vast arctic region in which nations of cold based creatures could exist.

How to work with this?
In the third IR, I used Furyondy in the Flanaess as my base: Furyondy had a Base Strength of 18.
How would Faerun work?
How would one divide the powers up?
What powers should be used? Or should they all be used, and divided as needed? (there are a lot of powers!)

Creamsteak

Explorer
How to work with this?
In the third IR, I used Furyondy in the Flanaess as my base: Furyondy had a Base Strength of 18.
How would Faerun work?
How would one divide the powers up?
What powers should be used? Or should they all be used, and divided as needed? (there are a lot of powers!)

Well, working with this is obviously going to be tough, but I encourage you to take it with a light heart. If you were to handle anything more IR related, I would prefer you to work with this in the way that is fun, but doesn't interfere with yourself.

In Faerun, I'm uninformed. I know very little about the strength of Faerun. It is my understanding that the best way to make a judgement of strength is with the easy material first. The easist 'powers' to make decisions based on would probably be City-States, as their military might is definitive and easy to understand. From there it would go to small countries or counties, then into regions. I would help you if you requested.

I believe that all powers that are available within the game should be made known immediately, whether or not you want to actually make them powers a player can choose. In the third IR, I had no idea you were going to incorporate so many outside settings. What this means to me, is that I need to know how far the reach of the game is from the beginning. I'm not one to really care about the 'power' of anything, I simply need to know what bounderies I may not cross.

Can you tell me what the motivation for these questions is? If your just asking what-if questions, great, I'll answer them with glee. If your thinking you may consider working on 'lists' for a possible 4th IR, I'm willing to help with that kind of construction, but I need to know that you won't be strained.

Hey Edena, me and Janos are very well read on the Realms and if you would need a list for something like a 4th IR. I'm sure he would be willing to spend a day or two with me to compile a list with rough PL estimations to go with them.

FR literature is a kind of hobby for us so it would be a pleasure to just delve into FR material once again and it would be an honor to help you out.

As always.

Best regards, Kris Hulsen.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Forsaken One, could you and Janos do that?
Even if a 4th IR (run by me) does not occur, such a list would stimulate interest, and certainly I would like to see such a list.
I appreciate the offer. Thank you both (Kris, Janos.) :)

I'd like to see your list. Although I know the Forgotten Realms in general, my knowledge is not encompassing, and I am willing to bet I'm in for a few surprises here.

Creamsteak, congratulations on becoming a Moderator.
And thanks for the support.

Last edited:

Remove ads