• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How Long Does It Take to get Sick of an Edition?

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
From what I recall, 3e started off good but frustration mounted over time (& level). Same with PF.

4e started off bad and took tons of wrestling with to make it enjoyable. It is still very limited and hard work but rewarding for what it specifically does, so it is a game I will go back to, but for shorter term & specifically 4e-oriented campaigns.

5e my first GMing experience was bad, but it has got better and better over time, the opposite of 3e. I enjoy it more and more as I GM it over the years since Jan 2015, so no sign of tiring of it. If the classes were lower magic - a 4e style Ranger, say - it'd be perfect.

Very similar experience, though my first 5th Ed/D&D Next session with the first playtest packet was one of the best I'd had in years.

5th Ed came at just the right moment, I had grown disillusioned with 4th Ed, and was looking back at previous editions to hack something together.

One of the reasons I love 5th Ed is its hackability, definitely made for it, a bit half-baked, in a good way, for me, easy to lean in another edition's direction.

digitalelf

Explorer
...after all these years we have yet to get every item available.

Indeed, I can continue to use 2nd edition well into my retirement years and still have not used everything.

I will throw in a spell from Hackmaster system (which is 2e combatable).

The shock on the player's face when they realize the spell they are trying to learn/just cast is NOT the regular PH version.

PS: I have also used some of the Hackmaster Monsters and modules to keep my players on their toes.

I like mixing Hackmaster into 2nd editon every now and then as well. :cool:

MGibster

Legend
It took me about 9 years before I started getting tired of AD&D 2nd edition. I was changing as a player and I found I just couldn't use AD&D to run the type of games I wanted to run or play the kinds of characters I wanted to play. I stopped playing 3rd edition after three years. Not because I got sick of it but didn't think the changes made from 3.0-3.5 were worth me spending more money on books so I elected to play something else.

It'll take me longer to get tired of 5th edition I think. I like the system but I do have other games in my rotation.

Remove ads