• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Having multiple dungeons available to the players

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Which sounds great until, having told you one week they'll go to Dungeon B next session, they think it over during the week and decide to go to Dungeon C instead once that next session starts.

Seen this before, has I.
They know I put a ton of effort into prep and respect me enough not to change

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So Im thinking of just having it set on the "wild frontier". The King looking to expand etc.

I may use the Keep from Keep on the Borderlands and have the Caves of Chaos as an option. Toss in Stonehell and Barrowmaze and Castle of the Mad Archmage at later points. Learning of different dungeons via patrons at the Tavern or via a talkative guard whatever.

Like, have a small dungeon they can "do" like Caves of Chaos (then maybe Silver Princess, and then etc etc maybe the whole B series) and then 2-3 Deep Dive options they can explore as they wish.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So Im thinking of just having it set on the "wild frontier". The King looking to expand etc.

I may use the Keep from Keep on the Borderlands and have the Caves of Chaos as an option. Toss in Stonehell and Barrowmaze and Castle of the Mad Archmage at later points. Learning of different dungeons via patrons at the Tavern or via a talkative guard whatever.

Like, have a small dungeon they can "do" like Caves of Chaos (then maybe Silver Princess, and then etc etc maybe the whole B series) and then 2-3 Deep Dive options they can explore as they wish.
There’s a sewers under the Keep dungeon someone made and blogged about. I’ve also seen people drop In Search of the Unknown (B1) into the other mystery cave. And The Village of Hommlet (T1) at the crossroads just south of the Keep.

You can really do a lot with that module. Beef up the factions and play with that. The hermit, the bandits, and the lizardmen are almost always forgotten and glossed over.

Last edited:

Simon Miles

Creator of the World of Barnaynia FRPG setting
What is the goal of offering the choice? Is it just variety, or is there a in-play reason there are X dungeons that need to be explored? On that note: are the dungeons there to be explored, or cleared?
Good point. In my experience players quite like the choice at first - liking the non-railroading sensation. They then panic as they have no idea what order to do the adventures in!

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So far they will have 3 options at the start. Stonehell for a true dungeon delve. Then the Caves of Chaos nearby. And if they don't want to stray over wilderness they can dive into the Sewers and Caves under the Keep.

Remove ads