D&D General Epic Sorcerer-Kingmaker Dark Sun Conversion Maps and Assets

Nokturnal

Villager
Hi All, I’ve commissioned Gabriel Eggers to create some fantastic Athas style terrain geography maps that will be a zoomed in look at the southern terminus of the Ringing Mountains/Forest Ridge (orange rectangle due NW of Celik). The maps will have no place names, scale or grids on then. I’ll post about them here as they are completed, if people are interested in nabbing copies.

Ideally I’d like folks to feel free to pitch in on the cost (donate) but ultimately happy for them to be free too. Feel free to DM me with if you are keen.

My intention is to use them for Luke Swadling’s killer Sorcerer-Kingmaker conversion which you can check out here: Sorcerer-Kingmaker

I’m also commissioning Oneiromancy to do all the battle maps, and custom tokens by Devon Night. There will be custom art assets too, all for the Sorcerer-Kingmaker conversion. DM me if you have any questions about this content also.

image0.jpg

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Hi All, I’ve commissioned Oneiromancy https://www.patreon.com/OneiromancyMaps to create some fantastic Athas style terrain geography maps that will be a zoomed in look at the southern terminus of the Ringing Mountains/Forest Ridge (orange rectangle due NW of Celik). The maps will have no place names, scale or grids on then. I’ll post about them here as they are completed, if people are interested in nabbing copies.

Ideally I’d like folks to feel free to pitch in on the cost (donate) but ultimately happy for them to be free too. Feel free to DM me with if you are keen.

My intention is to use them for Luke Swadling’s killer Sorcerer-Kingmaker conversion which you can check out here: Sorcerer-Kingmaker

I’m also commissioning Oneiromancy to do all the battle maps, and custom tokens by Devon Night. There will be custom art assets too, all for the Sorcerer-Kingmaker conversion. DM me if you have any questions about this content also.

View attachment 331446

Interesting conversion.

Nokturnal

Villager
If you have not checked out Luke Swadling's conversion, you should give it a read. Many of the elements/encounters would be fantastic to add to any Dark Sun campaign.

Nokturnal

Villager
Interesting conversion.
It brings some unique levels of play to Athas, such as if an emerging kingdom would even be tolerated by the powers that be, and how one would possibly navigate these powers. Playing Balic against Tyr and such, and of course when this is set (post Kalak) will have a big impact as a "free" Tyr may have an interest in supporting a new non-sorcerer-king power to emerge. Discovering who the factions (Velied Alliance, Villichi, Merchant Houses, Elf Tribes, etc) are and how to use and/or neutralize them will be interesting when added to the hex crawl adventures elements.

Resource discovery and harvesting also become a big item, along with keeping your growing population "happy" which on Athas the bar is set pretty low, so free of slavery and alive is winning, ha!

Nokturnal

Villager
Scaling of the maps was in interesting process, I did some calculations...

Map Scale - What to Use for SKM Conversion

Tablelands:

Miles Tyr to Fort Skonz: 2e's 25 miles | 4e's 75 miles (3x 2e) | June Solar's 150 miles (6x 2e)

Athas map goes from 2e 25 miles to 150 miles (6 x increase) from Tyr to Fort Skonz which makes each hex within reach-ish of being 1 days worth or marching. Tyr to Ft Skonz (150 miles at the 6x scale increase) would take 5 days, and at 1 gallon per day to march, requires about 41 lbs (5 gallons @ 8.3lbs per) of water and not including food or any other gear. This would make it very difficult for the average person on foot to travel between places by foot which I like for a few different reasons.

Sorcerer-Kingmaker Regional/Hexcrawl Map:

Kingmaker map (all four panels combined) goes from the original 349 miles wide (12 miles/hex) to 290 miles (10 miles/hex).

Distance to horizon on flat land is 3 miles, so I might set hexes to 3 miles per hex because of this for hex crawl, or I might use ten miles per hex as this is average travel per day, not yet decided.

Result: By increasing Athas scale by 6x and reducing SKM scale from 12miles/hex to 10 miles/hex the conversion now fits perfectly in the designated area of Athas where it will occur.

Last edited:

wolfmanreid

Villager
Hi All, I’ve commissioned Oneiromancy https://www.patreon.com/OneiromancyMaps to create some fantastic Athas style terrain geography maps that will be a zoomed in look at the southern terminus of the Ringing Mountains/Forest Ridge (orange rectangle due NW of Celik). The maps will have no place names, scale or grids on then. I’ll post about them here as they are completed, if people are interested in nabbing copies.

View attachment 331446
How can I donate to this project?

Nokturnal

Villager
I'm just getting the second geographical map panel commissioned, I can show the first panel, it turned out great. I'm paying $25 CAN per panel, $100 CAN for all four. Any donation towards this is great for those who want to enjoy them. I ended up flipping the original regional maps vertically so that they fit the the Athas game area better. Oneiromancy will be doing battle maps for me (he's working on Oleg's Trading Post right now), but for the regional maps I have Gabriel Eggers doing those, he is redoing all the Athas.org cartographers guild maps so he's fantastic.

I've attached the completed first panel, and the mark-up I sent Gabriel to work from. This gives you and idea.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 3.45.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 3.45.04 PM.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 3.48.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 3.48.37 PM.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 34

Nokturnal

Villager

5e Wilderness Travel and Survival Docs Based on: Toucanbuzz & DMG 5e​

In an attempt to bring some clarity and ease of use to my current Sorcerer-Kingmaker Dark Sun 5e Campaign, I pulled all the rules I will be using into a doc, and added some supporting tables. The idea is to follow the flow of each survival / trekking day as a step by step flow as to what needs tracking/calculating, when, and how to: Wilderness Travel & Survival 2.0

I have also created an xl doc tracker that lines up with the steps of the above document, I might at some point get it to auto-tabulate the tracked values for water/food/sleep/etc but at this time this one requires manual calculations: Dark Sun Toucanbuzz 5e Wilderness Survival Tracker

And here are the resting and healing rules. It's a combination of the Toucanbuzz DS 5e Campaign rules, as well as some modified content from the 5e DMG: Wilderness Travel & Survival 2.0

This part of the game feels like a game within a game. It would not be in use at all times, it would be situation or quest specific and likely more of a factor at lower levels. Any and all feedback very welcome.

Last edited:

Remove ads