• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like TTRPG games to have shapeshifting options?

Tag365

Villager
The idea of changing from a human into an animal like a bear, vulture, or skunk, or possibly even into another type of humanoid has recently had my interest. The Master of Many Forms prestige class from Dungeons & Dragons version 3.5 (and its third edition equivalent the Shifter prestige class) appeals to me the most out of the classes in that system so far. I plan to use the Circle of the Moon subclass of the Druid in fifth edition D&D, and the EN World Morph class has caught my interest despite not being an official class.

Do you think such shapeshifting options would enhance a TTRPG like this?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Changeling Moon Druid.

Doesn’t get much better than that.

But also I love the idea of a Changeling Assassin, skilled in infiltration and performance, with some light telepathy to skim surface thoughts and glean mannerisms and vocal patterns and the like.

Taking that character and making them a good guy would be very interesting.

MGibster

Legend
I'm playing a Druid in an Eberron campaign now, and it's a lot of fun and useful to be able to turn into a bird, monkey, or fish when necessary.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s a classic preternatural ability, found in fantasy, horror and science fiction stories & games. It even shows up in pulp fiction as a “Master of 1000 faces” trope.

Its presence or absence wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me as a consumer, but I think its one of the better options for expanding the kinds of stories that can be told.

aramis erak

Legend
The idea of changing from a human into an animal like a bear, vulture, or skunk, or possibly even into another type of humanoid has recently had my interest. The Master of Many Forms prestige class from Dungeons & Dragons version 3.5 (and its third edition equivalent the Shifter prestige class) appeals to me the most out of the classes in that system so far. I plan to use the Circle of the Moon subclass of the Druid in fifth edition D&D, and the EN World Morph class has caught my interest despite not being an official class.

Do you think such shapeshifting options would enhance a TTRPG like this?
I don't care for it, but several players of mine have, and it's not been disruoptive, so I don't object to it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides D&D Druids, I’ve played very few shapechangers. Hell, even polymorphing spells were rare for my for my Wizards, and I can only remember a couple lycanthropes. Outside of D&D, my shapechangers are even rarer.

Pretty much, if I’m playing a PC with a nonhuman form, that the only form it has.

HOWEVER, I do have a number of PCs I’ve designed as some kind of shapechange, but never played. Usually, it’s either because the idea didn’t pop into my head when I had the opportunity to play in whatever system/campaign where it was an option, or another idea edged it out. (The last one I did was of the former kind.)

Remove ads