• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Come back?

Art Waring

halozix.com
Do we really need any new gaming material? Really? There's enough published material available to the gaming community to run games into the next millennia and beyond. We'll be fine.
Its not just about new material, its about the effect of network externalities.

The massive amount of 3pp content for dnd helped to spurn the continued evolution of the game, including improving mechanics, healthy competition, and a networked community that all spoke the same "programming" language.

The OGL was the closest thing dnd had to a Linux like network, where companies (both large and small) stand side by side with smaller independent programmers (in the thousands) to create a network that is greater than the sum of its parts.

If you have a telephone, it has no value on its own, but its value and utility grows with each other person that gets a phone, its a net gain effect where everyone benefits, not just one single monolithic company.

Furthermore, what you will see in the next year is a brain drain from dnd, creators and 3pp's are moving away from the OGL towards less restrictive licenses like the upcoming ORC or project black flag. When a majority of the content creators (on every platform), & 3pp's (including some of the biggest, like paizo & kobold press) leave, their creativity and innovation leaves with them for greener pastures.

hedgeknight

Explorer
@Art Waring - I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm also sticking with my original post. IF...everything went straight to the crapper and 3rd party folks could no longer publish ANY new material without the restraints of whatever WotC puts on them, the gaming community as it is right now, has enough published material to play forever. Would we miss new material? Absolutely! Can we live and game without it? Absolutely.

Voadam

Legend
It’d kinda awesome if the OGL1.1 debacle led to a Renaissance of OGL 1.0/3e.

Just sayin’.
While I really like a lot of 3e/3.5/Pathfinder/d20 Modern/Arcana Unearthed, etc. and have a ton of cool adventures for d20 that I have not run yet and have a ton of monster sources I really like, I would probably add enough house rules to make it more like 4e (particularly class and monster abilities, skills) and 5e (spell concentration, combat movement and attack rules) that I don't see picking it up as a system of choice unless my group was against me running 5e.

Art Waring

halozix.com
@Art Waring - I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm also sticking with my original post. IF...everything went straight to the crapper and 3rd party folks could no longer publish ANY new material without the restraints of whatever WotC puts on them, the gaming community as it is right now, has enough published material to play forever. Would we miss new material? Absolutely! Can we live and game without it? Absolutely.
Absolutely, everyone and anyone can play whatever they want to, however they want. I was just addressing the net effect of having creators in the ecosystem, the more the merrier as they say.

While I really like a lot of 3e/3.5/Pathfinder/d20 Modern/Arcana Unearthed, etc. and have a ton of cool adventures for d20 that I have not run yet and have a ton of monster sources I really like, I would probably add enough house rules to make it more like 4e (particularly class and monster abilities, skills) and 5e (spell concentration, combat movement and attack rules) that I don't see picking it up as a system of choice unless my group was against me running 5e.
I always figured the main reason people play 5e is because “everyone else does”.

With 6e “fully compatible“ with 5e, and everyone up in arms about OGL 1.1 and upset at WotC, I figure maybe we’re past peak 5e and can have a diversity of earlier and alternative games.

My old DM who taught me 3e and 4e is starting a new 4e game for his extended family. Out on 5e and uninterested in “OneD&D” - what a joke of a name for a situation so divisive.

And I am still running 3.5e. I DM my extended family game infrequently (8 times a year?), and my other campaign is slow over email, so I never have burned out/don’t feel a need for new editions, and have never allowed splatbooks or high level play. All the things people say are inherently “broken” for 3x, just aren’t part of my 3x world. But I played 4e for a few years and always was looking to learn/play some 5e when chances came up. I have the rules for all editions.

The whole OGL crisis has me a bit depressed and embarrassed to be a D&D evangelist to most people who know me.

I suspect I will be even more estranged from 6e than 4e & 5e. I’m thinking like do I boycott the movie? Will I even buy the PHB for OneD&D - probably Black Flag/ORC instead. Do I tell my family to stop buying me WotC stuff (lIke Dungeon Mayhem and a D&D baseball hat) for Christmas and my birthday? Kinda sad, but before this OGL 1.1 thing, I didn’t mind being associated with the game.

The brand is tainted.

WotC’s gotta walk it back further than “we both win” one-quarter-step back on OGL 1.1. Gotta show us they understand what they were trying to do in revoking OGL 1.0a was wrong, and they understand why we the D&D community sided against them.

They should know their brand doesn’t exist without DM’s. But they greenlit Dark Alliance ... so maybe they don’t know the first thing about D&D. :)

Their mea culpa should say in a legally binding way: yes, OGL 1.0a is forever. The game belongs the players and DM’s, and we cannot kill it. They need us more than we need them, and they apologize for real.

Geez, third corporate attempt to kill the game - 1997 TSR mismanagement (read “Slaying the Dragon”), 2007 OGS/4e, and now this. Paraphrasing what Tito of Yugoslavia said to Stalin: I’ve caught your third assassin. Stop sending assassins or I will be actively angry with you, not just disappointed. :)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, in a worst case WotC goes full Denethor and self-immolates themselves and the entire RPG industry...I don't think I could bring myself to go back to 3.x at this point. I'd truck along with the 5E products I have or find a new game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads