• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chinese Geomancers?

Voadam

Legend
Cathay Jewel of the East is the dual statted fantasy China supplement for 7th Sea 1e and Swashbuckling Adventures, a 3.0 d20 setting adaptation of 7th Sea. SA uses alternate classes and magic but is a 3.0 D&D based rules system and the Cathay supplement has a d20 trigram path of sorcery that is loosely Feng Shui based.

"Through further study, Emperor Fu Xi determined that there were subtleties and cycles to the changes. By combining two sets of trigrams, he created 64 hexagrams he called I Ching or Changes. His careful research led him to develop the philosophy of feng shui, which enables humans to live in harmony with nature. Based on the principle of balance in nature (yin and yang), feng shui studies the [e]ffects and interactions of the five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water."

There is also a Feng Shui based martial arts prestige class called Wu Tsain which is focused on not attacking directly but redirecting an opponent's energy.

The 7th Sea part also has stuff for Feng Shui geomancers and Wu Tsain swordsmen martial artists.

"Feng Shui Shi (Cathayan Priest/Geomancer)
A feng shui shi is a priest/ess and an expert in feng shui, Cathay’s art of geomancy. In the Qi Guo, only the very foolish would begin construction of a new building without first consulting one of these learned men."

There are also positive and negative Feng Shui area ratings which give bonuses or penalties to characters of lawful and chaotic alignments.

Last edited:

ldvhl

Explorer
I would very much like D&D content based on Chinese cultures to be developed by people of those cultures. I haven't found anything along those lines yet though.

Remove ads