Spoilers 3 Body Problem

Dire Bare

Legend
It is more that it was subjugation, probably culling most but leaving some of the chosen. But later, as they learned more about humans, the plan changed to extermination. But that may be more from the show than the books. From the books, I remember more about the two pro-santi human factions, which was glossed over (ignored really) in the TV show. I'm trying to remember the evolution of the santi's plan as it was revealed in the books. I just remember it being quite dark from the beginning. Some santi scientists who were attracted to the freedom and individuality of humans tried to work against their own kind and warn the humans. But I would need to skim over the first book again to refresh my recollection on the relevant events. The Netflix series simplifies the story a bit, but still admirably keeps true to the main themes and beats.
The San-Ti (in the show) always planned on being in charge. Subjugation. However, there is a difference between benign subjugation and oppressive subjugation.

We see it in our own history. If you lived in a monarchist society, you didn't have a choice who was your king, and you were expected to do whatever the king wanted, or else. However, many rulers felt a true responsibility towards their subjects and tried to take on a benevolent role. Others, of course, were more selfish and interested in oppressing the people and keeping them in line at all costs.

Did the San-Ti ever shift their plan to the complete extermination of the human species? I didn't get that from the show . . . but it definitely felt like the San-Ti decided that extermination was on the table if humanity didn't roll over and accept their new, now oppressive, overlords. You are bugs!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The San-Ti (in the show) always planned on being in charge. Subjugation. However, there is a difference between benign subjugation and oppressive subjugation.

We see it in our own history. If you lived in a monarchist society, you didn't have a choice who was your king, and you were expected to do whatever the king wanted, or else. However, many rulers felt a true responsibility towards their subjects and tried to take on a benevolent role. Others, of course, were more selfish and interested in oppressing the people and keeping them in line at all costs.

Did the San-Ti ever shift their plan to the complete extermination of the human species? I didn't get that from the show . . . but it definitely felt like the San-Ti decided that extermination was on the table if humanity didn't roll over and accept their new, now oppressive, overlords. You are bugs!
They covered it in the show, but because of the pace it is easy not to grok. Basically, during the conversation between the San-ti and Mike Evans on the ship, when they learn that humans can lie. They simplify this in the show as in the books, Evans and the Adventists want humanity to be destroyed.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I really liked the books, I have watched some of the TV program it is ok, though I am not a big TV watcher. I know the books can be difficult to parse without context, if one reads Liu's other works, such as Ball Lightning, and his essays in the short story collections, the context he gives makes it all more understandable. I have used some of the ideas in Solis People of the Sun including turning some upside down such as the Dark Forest theory. He does tie everything up in the last book, Death's End, and a lot makes sense. It doesn't have as much as a typical happy ending, though not much different than other sci-fi, like I won't say to spoiler it.

Anybody else have an issue with nano-shredding Judgement Day? Don't get me wrong, the scene was brutal and well worth filming. My issue is that the fella in charge wanted to incapacitate the cultist and get their hard drives, mainframes, etc... without a bloody fight. Though, the nano-shredding turned the ship into a pile of scrap. They got very lucky that all the data wasn't destroyed with the JD.
I agree but what a scene!
Rarely I have see the power of an overwhelming tech ( or magic) so well shown in a tv show.

Remove ads