• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Will they fix the other H spell?

MerakSpielman

First Post
Perhaps Hold Person should make the target be held in a sort of Temporal Stasis. They can't do anything to effect the world around them, being effectively "frozen," but neither can anybody around them harm or affect them in any way. You can take the time to surround them to start biffing when the spell wears off, though.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
Perhaps Hold Person should make the target be held in a sort of Temporal Stasis. They can't do anything to effect the world around them, being effectively "frozen," but neither can anybody around them harm or affect them in any way. You can take the time to surround them to start biffing when the spell wears off, though.

To powerful that way: you could use it as a protection spell to shield yourself against even dragonfire...

Geoff Watson

First Post
KaeYoss said:

To powerful that way: you could use it as a protection spell to shield yourself against even dragonfire...

In previous editions, we used Sepia Snake Sigil in the same way. It trapped the victim, but also made them invulnerable.

Geoff.

Victim

First Post
KaeYoss said:

What's the big deal about dragonfire? The full attack is much scarier.

While I don't think there'd be problem with Hold person only stunning high level targets balance-wise, it seems overly complicated as a specific target level changes what the spell does. The exact spell description would have to be consulted more often.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Victim said:

What's the big deal about dragonfire? The full attack is much scarier.

'twas just a figure of speech, there are things more devastating than a dragon's breath, but not much things are as proverbially devastating as dragonfire. And Hold Person would help you against that, too. You could also be immersed in acid or lava and that's a mite to much for a 2nd-level spell. Or a 3rd....

While I don't think there'd be problem with Hold person only stunning high level targets balance-wise, it seems overly complicated as a specific target level changes what the spell does. The exact spell description would have to be consulted more often.

Not as bad as Color Spray, I think a single border would be quite easy to remember, like in sleep.

Hmmm...... now you've made me think of something: you could change Sleep that it does affect creatures of all levels, but those above 5th are only fatigued for the duration of the spell.

LostSoul

Adventurer
KaeYoss said:
Hmmm...... now you've made me think of something: you could change Sleep that it does affect creatures of all levels, but those above 5th are only fatigued for the duration of the spell. [/B]

Not bad, not bad at all. It makes it a much better Sorcerer spell in that case, but still not a "must-have".

Remove ads