• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5e char classes

brehobit

Explorer
In another thread I saw a comment that bards in 3.5 could now cast in light armor. True? Where was this announced (Dragon?)

Also, there was a discussion that Evasion was added in part because otherwise taking 2 levels of rogue just makes "too much sense" when playing a ranger. I'm wondering how many people would really give away a +1 BAB required when taking a level of rogue. I was also wondering if this might just imply that rangers aren't on the figher BAB track anymore. _that_ would certainly make up for all the cool new powers of the ranger. I think it might more than make up for it though.

Thoughts?

Murrdox

First Post
I'm not sure if ANYTHING has been "officially" announced... but I've heard about the bard's casting ability ignoring armor failure from a couple of sources.

People have argued about balancing the Ranger forever, so I don't see any point in mentioning that here. I'll just say that I think reducing his hit die to a d8 makes up for his new abilities, IMO. Reducing his BAB would mean that people would just play Clerics instead and get better casting ability. ;)

DrSpunj

Explorer
brehobit said:
In another thread I saw a comment that bards in 3.5 could now cast in light armor. True? Where was this announced (Dragon?)

The only place I heard that was on the Mortality Radio show from T'Ed Stark. I'm pretty sure you can still download the episode if you haven't already; he said a lot of interesting stuff about many of the classes, much of which has been confirmed in his Dragon Revision updates or on the WotC website.

DrSpunj

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'm pretty sure that rangers retain their strong BAB - he's still a warrior, no rogue.
Evasion is not to be spit at, so that one point of BAB you lose isn't that bad. But I think people don't do that so often because of the multiclass restrictions: a rogue2/ranger18 would incur the XP penalty, unless your favored class is either rogue or ranger.

Sejs

First Post
Unless I'm on crack, the thing I saw on bards said they could cast bard spells without ASF in both Light and Medium armor.

Which makes sense, as they're proficient in both anyhow.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Bah. I almost always split evenly between Rogue and Ranger anyway, since I think real Rangers have Sneak Attack. (But the class probably shouldn't get it.)

It's always worked nicely for me in the past, though with the changes to Ranger, I suspect it's going to work even better.

Darklone

Yeah, I thought to HOUSERULE the new ranger already with 1d4 sneak attack extra damage instead of his plain +2 damage,... though the +2 is lots better for crits.

Remove ads