• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Cleric Domains

RigaMortus

Explorer
Anyone know if WotC is changing anything around with the Cleric domains? Anything at all?

I had an idea about beefing up some of the domain powers. Well, specifically the Healing Domain. I just don't think +1 caster level to all Healing spells is all that great IMO. So my idea was, if WotC changed it so that you can spontaneously cast Healing spells. Not just Cure spells, but anything with the Healing type/descriptor on it. So you could ditch a spell to cast something like Resoration or even Heal (as long as the spell you are ditching is of the same level or higher of course).

melkoriii

First Post
Ya Domain Powers are not made equally.

Heal Domain is one of them.
My fix for it is not +1 caster lvl but +1 heal dice.

So Cure light would be 2d8+1
Cure Mod 3d8+3

But only from the Domain Spell not normal ones so your limited to one of each a day.

I dont this this is any more powerful then "Command Fire creatures and Turn Water Creatures"

Expecaly when your domain spells are almost all spells you can spontaneously cast anyway.

WattsHumphrey

First Post
Clerics are cool but overpowered. I hope they change the different domain abilities to be more consistently on the same level, and I REALLY hope they neuter the spell lists for some domains. Clerics shouldn't get access to that many wiz only spells.

mmm... travel domain....

Technik4

First Post
Similar to melkoriii's idea is that the healing domain raises the casting cap on healing spells by 1. This means:

A cure light maxes at 2d8+6, a cure moderate at 3d8+11, a serious at 4d8+16, and a critical at 5d8+21. Furthermore a healing circle would max at 2d8+21 and the new heal spell could heal up to 160 hp (instead of 150).

It gives healing spells more bang for their buck.

Technik

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Once thing I tried for a little while as a house rule was to take away spontaneously casting healing spells -- and replace it with spontaneously casting domain spells instead.

That was perhaps a bit overpowered, but if you take away the bonus domain spell at each level, but still provide for the revised spontaneous casting, it could be an interesting alternative.

-rg

Staffan

Legend
melkoriii said:
Ya Domain Powers are not made equally.

Heal Domain is one of them.
My fix for it is not +1 caster lvl but +1 heal dice.
Supposedly, domains are balanced as a whole. Some domains have sucky powers and great spells, while others have great powers and sucky spells.

Then again, some have both, like the Travel domain.

niteshade6

First Post
Yeah, the healing domain does have the very major advantage that your guaranteed that your domain spells will always be useful. Since it frees you from the need of burning your other spells for healing, it's almost like you get one free spell of your choice each level. At least until you start getting to some of the higher level spells which are much less useful, such as regeneration.

Remove ads