• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.0 Shield in 3.5

Darklone

Eldragon said:
Well, first of all, If you have 1/2 or better cover, you dont get attacks of opportunity against you. Its very clear on page 132 of the PHB. Not alot of room open to "DM Interpretation".

Hehehehe. Except if the spell description in my PHB states explicitely that it does not help against AoOs?

I've seen three different scanned printings of PHBs till now concerning that spell.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Re: Re: 3.0 Shield in 3.5

Can you cite a reference for this?

Nope :)

To be honest, I'm not especially hyped or excited about 3.5, so I've only been paying cursory attention to the rumours. But I had a memory of seeing a "Shield dropping to +4 bonus!" thread at some point.

-Hyp.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3.0 Shield in 3.5

Hypersmurf said:

Nope :)

To be honest, I'm not especially hyped or excited about 3.5, so I've only been paying cursory attention to the rumours. But I had a memory of seeing a "Shield dropping to +4 bonus!" thread at some point.

-Hyp.
As I said before, that was mostly someone who read the D20 Modern version. Seeing as many spells thought of as problem spells were changed in D20 Modern, this does seem like a plausible conjecture.

Spatzimaus

First Post
JChung2003 said:
Well, damn. Why didn't they put that in the errata instead of the FAQ? *groan*

Also, why not update the SRD while they're at it? *sigh*

You'll hear different arguments on this one. The version I heard, that makes the most sense, is that Errata are only updated when a book is reprinted. That is, take a 1st-print PHB and apply errata, and you end up with the version available in bookstores now.

So, any change made since the latest printing goes into the FAQ, even if it's a fundamental change. Likewise, any "clarification" questions that aren't worth explicitly spelling out go into the FAQ. Since they haven't made a new version of the PHB in a couple years, no errata updates, and the FAQ just gets bigger.

The SRD, likewise, is supposed to only be a compilation of the printed books. It doesn't quite work that way in practice, of course; there have been a lot of arguments on these boards where the SRD says one thing and the books say another.

When 3.5 comes out, it'll be a "new printing", so the SRD will get updated (they've confirmed this, AFAIK), and hopefully some correction stuff in the FAQ (like the Shield change) will be moved to the errata. (The clarification stuff will probably stay FAQ)

ETA: The new Shield spell has one other big advantage over Mage Armor to make up for its duration and self-only status: It stacks with pretty much everything. Sure, if you're a pure caster MA only conflicts with Bracers of Armor, but what about the multiclassed Fighter-Mage or UMD-using Rogue who casts it from a scroll? They can definitely benefit from a +4 AC that stacks with their normal armor.

Last edited:

Remove ads