• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2e spell Conversion assistance.

Xarlen

First Post
The cleric in my game is wanting to convert some Tymora based spells from Faiths and Avatars for his cleric. I want some opinons on what level they should be.

The first is Favor of Tymora: This spell confers a protection upon a single living recipient that cannot be ended by dispel magic or other magical effects. It lasts till the death of the recipient, or until its power is exhausted by use. It requires the priest to touch the recipient, meaning an attack roll if the recipient is in battle, or unwiling. The next saving throw made by the recipient is made at +4, even if it takes place later in the same round as the spell was cast. The second save is made at +3, the third at +2, and the fourth at +1. After four saving throws occur ,the magic is exhausted. There can be any length of time between these saving throws.

Basicly, unending duration, until the saving throws are rolled. They bestow a Luck Bonus to saving throws.

However, there are drawbacks: Tymora does not allow this spell to be cast on any one recipient more than once a day, unless they are defending the faith. Moreover, creatures faithful to Tymora (including priests) are looked upon with disfavor if they request the spell more than twice in any tenday: to rely directly on the goddess is not to trust in her luck.

I'm thinking this is worth a 4th level slot. Any opinons?

Also, the second spell: This spell allows the caster or another touched recipient to successfully carry out one extremely difficult action or single step task - in other words, any skill checks and or/ ability checks automatically succeed. The magic does not perform the activity, and does not protect the recipient from damage or risk inherant in the task: it only guarantees that it will succeed, even if it results in the death of the recipient.The act must be performed on the round just after the one in which the spell is cast, or the magic is wasted.

Now, the player doesn't believe you can use it on bluff and knowledge rolls, but physical activities. Such as shooting an arrow through a keyhole, swinging or leaping through a small opening, catching thrown objects, directing one's fall, etc.

The player is not a powergamer. Infact, he doesn't utelize the strenghts of the cleric, so I trust him from really taking advantage of this spell.

What level is it? Also, how would this be done, in 3e?

Zhure

First Post
The second one sounds like a variant on True Strike, except for a skill check rather than a to hit roll.

Greg

hong

WotC's bitch
Xarlen said:
He doesn't like that. That +20 doesn't cut it with some things. Like jumping off a roof onto a horse.

Um, why not? That might be considered a Dex check or Tumble skill check. Either way, a +20 bonus is almost guaranteed to make you succeed, assuming the DC is in the usual 15-25 range. Remember that a natural 1 isn't an auto-fail on a skill or ability check.

In general, 3E cuts down on "insta-kill" effects, meaning instances where you either automatically succeed or automatically fail at something. Eg DR reduces damage instead of negating all of it; poisons do damage instead of killing you outright; etc. Furthermore, a lot of spells have been de-powered compared to their 2E counterparts, eg charms only last hours instead of days; stoneskin provides DR instead of complete immunity, etc. A +20 bonus seems in keeping with this philosophy.

fba827

Adventurer
Xarlen said:
The first is Favor of Tymora: This spell confers a protection upon a single living recipient that cannot be ended by dispel magic or other magical effects. It lasts till the death of the recipient, or until its power is exhausted by use. It requires the priest to touch the recipient, meaning an attack roll if the recipient is in battle, or unwiling. The next saving throw made by the recipient is made at +4, even if it takes place later in the same round as the spell was cast. The second save is made at +3, the third at +2, and the fourth at +1. After four saving throws occur ,the magic is exhausted. There can be any length of time between these saving throws.

Basicly, unending duration, until the saving throws are rolled. They bestow a Luck Bonus to saving throws.

However, there are drawbacks: Tymora does not allow this spell to be cast on any one recipient more than once a day, unless they are defending the faith. Moreover, creatures faithful to Tymora (including priests) are looked upon with disfavor if they request the spell more than twice in any tenday: to rely directly on the goddess is not to trust in her luck.

I'm thinking this is worth a 4th level slot. Any opinons?

Well ... couple ways you could go here in order to incorporate the non-dispel possibilities...

Option A

Favor of Tymora
Transmutation
Level: Clr 3 (Tymora)
Components: V, S, DF, XP
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: Permanent until used
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

By casting Tymora's favor upon the target, you imbue the target with a(n) (extraordinary or supernatural ? ) ability. The target's next saving throw is made with a +4 bonus. The target's subsequent 3 saving throws are made with a +3, +2, and +1 bonus, respectively. After this fourth and final saving throw, the spell's duration ends and the (extraordinary or supernatural) ability ceases to function.
A target may not receive more than one Favor of Tymora within a given day unless they are directly defending the faith (DM's discretion). Moreover, creatures faithful to Tymora (including priests) are looked upon with disfavor if they request the spell more than twice in any tenday; to rely directly on the goddess is not to trust in her luck.
XP Cost: 10 xp

Why I picked what I did:
* XP component - Feels apporpriate since you are breaking out of the cleric and in fact trying to imbume powers beyond the mortal and magical world to a target.
* Although the point here was to make this a luck bonus, if the ability is supernatural or extraordinary in nature, then type of magic bonus doesn't apply (unless I'm remembering incorrectly). Also, the flavor text of "to rely on this spell is to not have faith in her luck" seemed contratdictory if the spell was in fact her granting her luck bonus :)
* When you were talking about not being able to dispel it, I immediately thought of supernatural and Ex abilities.. so this option is running with that as the basis for the idea
* Main references for determining this spell's equivalence: main concept was the idea from the aspect of the deity spells (in DoF)

Option B

Favor of Tymora
Evocation
Level: Clr 3 (Tymora)
Components: V, S, DF
Duration: Permanent until used

By casting Tymora's favor upon the target, you imbue the target with Lady Luck's own special luck. At the target's next saving throw, he is granted a +4 luck bonus to the save. Subsequent saves are made at +3, +2, and +1 respectivly after which the spell ends.
As this luck is granted by Tymora herself and not the result of mortal magic, the effects of this spell are not subject to dispel magic attempts (though, countering is still entirely possible). -- Alternatively -- (For whatever reason to be concocted) Attempts to dispel the Favor of Tymora are made at a -10 luck penalty though attempts to counter this spell are made as normal.
A target may not receive more than one Favor of Tymora within a given day unless they are directly defending the faith (DM's discretion). Moreover, creatures faithful to Tymora (including priests) are looked upon with disfavor if they request the spell more than twice in any tenday; to rely directly on the goddess is not to trust in her luck.

Why I picked what I did:
* I don't like this option simply because it is difficult to incorporate the "not subject to dispelling" etc without calling it special divine might.. then this opens up problems such as why aren't more things like this and, frankly, I don't even know how divine stuff works (as I have yet to even want to look at Deities and Demigods or Faiths of Faerun)
* Though this option does pull it back to the idea of it being a luck bonus but the third paragraph seems to contradict all this when taking about "to rely on this spell is to not have faith in her luck" since the spell is also granting the goddess' luck..
* I've been using full round casting time because of how "extra" and special this is compared to a standard luck bonus
* Main references for determining this spell's equivalence: divine favor

Xarlen said:

Also, the second spell: This spell allows the caster or another touched recipient to successfully carry out one extremely difficult action or single step task - in other words, any skill checks and or/ ability checks automatically succeed. The magic does not perform the activity, and does not protect the recipient from damage or risk inherant in the task: it only guarantees that it will succeed, even if it results in the death of the recipient.The act must be performed on the round just after the one in which the spell is cast, or the magic is wasted.

Now, the player doesn't believe you can use it on bluff and knowledge rolls, but physical activities. Such as shooting an arrow through a keyhole, swinging or leaping through a small opening, catching thrown objects, directing one's fall, etc.

The player is not a powergamer. Infact, he doesn't utelize the strenghts of the cleric, so I trust him from really taking advantage of this spell.

What level is it? Also, how would this be done, in 3e?

Hmm.
For this one, I could see it working one of two ways.

Admitedly, my first inclination is what was already said. it is the simplest and most straight forward for conversion: it grants a +20 luck bonus

Option A

Tymora's Touch
Evocation
Level: Clr 1 (Tymora)
Duration: 1 minute/level (max 20 minutes) or until used

Calling upon the powers of chance commanded by Tymora, you grant the touched recipient a +20 luck bonus to a single skill check. Use of this bonus must be declared prior to the role and once this bonus is used for a single check, the spell's duration ends.

Why I picked what I did:
* Tymora's touch - I just made up a name because I wanted a complete spell listing :)
* luck bonus because it is Tymora
* Evocation because that is how luck bonuses are called (reference Divine Favor spell)
* Level 1 because if you have reference the wieldskill spell (Magic of Faerun) that grants a +10 bonus, has a shorter duration, and also allows a skill that would otherwise not be able to be used untrained suddenly usable (because it is granting new knowledge rather than luck). So, while this is a bigger bonus, it isn't as versatile.
* It does not necessarily equate to the automatic success that you were hoping for, however.
* Main references for determining this spell's equivalence: Divine Favor, Wieldskill, True Strike

Option B

Tymora's Touch
Transmutation
Level: Clr 2 (Tymora)
Duration: 1 minute/level (max 20 minutes) or until used

Calling upon the powers of Lady Luck, you alter time for the target as if a minor time stop spell. If the duration has not yet been expended, as soon as the target begins the use of a skill, he is removed from normal time while performing that skill. Thus, he has the chance to take 20 for the particular skill check. Once Tymora's touch is used for one skill, the spell's duration ends immediately. Given that the target is out of time-synch with other living beings, the skill chosen to be performed at the accelerated rate is limited to physical skills at the DM's discretion.

Why I picked what I did:
* Tymora's touch - I just made up a name because I wanted a complete spell listing :)
* It is basically a minor Time Stop spell. This differs from Option A in that here you're not adding a bonus but basically giving the target a chance to Take 20
* NOTE: because it is a minor time stop, you do run into some consistency issues like "why can't he do other things" and all I can say is, because that's not what Tymora is allowing :)
* This does incorporate the "only physical things" concept since you can only interact with physical objects in your sped up time... trying to bluff someone while your in a different time stream is difficult, to say the least :)
* Transmutation because it is a minor time stop spell
* Level 2 because the wording and such really does limit this to only skill usage and even then only physical skill usage. At the same time, you are altering the flow of time so it shouldn't be 1st level :)
* Taking 20 does not eliminate potential risks from failure, it merely gives the person a chance to take their time and avoid failure.
* It does not necessarily equate to the automatic success that you were hoping for, however.
* Main references for determining this spell's equivalence: time stop

Mind you, I do not have access to the original spell descriptions - I am merely going based on the descriptions you have given.

And, finally, I am by no means claiming to be any kind of expert - you asked fo suggestions, so these are just that - my suggestions. :)

fba827

PS. This post is being submitted without proofreading so there! :)

Edit 1: After some consideration, I lessened the XP component in the first alternative from 25 to 10 since there are drawbacks to the number of times this spell can be used.

Edit 2: Added "PS"

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Thanks, Fba! :)

I'll show him these, and see what he thinks.

BTW, the second spell is called Feat. But I didn't want to get that confused.

fba827

Adventurer
Just wondering what (if anything) happened with this, Xarlan ?

(note, i just noticed in one of the versions, the one where it grants a Su or Ex abaility - since the "luck" name for the bonus was taken away, this actually opens the loop hole for it to stack with itself.. don't know if you want that to happen or not.. at the same time, I purposely didn't add the luck name to the bonus because it seems to me that bonuses are only named as the result of spell and spell-like abilities (not Su or Ex)... after all, those names are only described in the magic section as it is... anyway, it's just an afterthought and ramble :)

Secondly, was wondering if anyone else had any better way to do what was asked? Or perhaps suggestions or comments on what I suggested?

I only ask because, as mentioned, I am not claiming to be an expert in this so perhaps someone else saw some issue that I over looked ?

Remove ads